This Thursday will be my turn in the Lords of Wax competition at Frank. Lords of Wax is a single elimination tournament and Thursday is the last of the preliminary battles, so if I win tomorrow then I’ll be in the finals at Emos next week. Here are the rules:
- Each DJ will be assigned a local record store sponsor via blind draw for the record selection.
- DJs have five minutes to select 30 records from that store to mix into a 30 minute set.
- After the selection process, all vinyl will be locked-up until show time, so no practice time!
- Local industry pillars consisting of but not limited to, DJs, producers, promoters and local record store owners will serve as official judges to the competition.
Three different battle rounds with rotating sets from each competing DJ:
- Set 1: Record Store Wax only
- Set 2: Record Store Wax and Personal Wax
- Set 3: Digital Database Option, Anything goes, DJs Choice
I was fortunate to pick Turntable Records (shout to the owner Thomas) and in five minutes I was able to get a nice stash of gems for my first round. It’s a unique concept which will be alot of fun to turn into a set. This Thursday it goes down, more details via FB.